welcome!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Isabel, and I'm currently a student at Tufts University's Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, attaining a Masters of Science in Nutrition Communications. I'm also an avid health-nut who is allergic to absolutely everything- wheat, soy, corn, dairy, and eggs, and who loves to work out! I am currently in school learning how to better communicate to the public why and how they can become healthier and happier. So hopefully you can learn something too! Anything that you want to see on my blog or any questions you have please leave me questions and I will do my best to answer! I'm just getting going, but I soon hope to post recipes, fun fitness tips, and other exciting nutrition and fitness tips! enjoy!

Friday, February 25, 2011

My Wheat-Free Short List

Being gluten-free (amongst other things) provides a challenge to getting enough whole grains. Rice gets boring and there are only a limited amount of Quinoa dishes you can make. Corn and soy provide great alternatives to wheat, but only if you can tolerate them.
Even when you're gluten-free, you absolutely have to get enough whole grains. Whole grains are absolutely essential to any weight-loss, weight-maintenance, and healthy diet. So even if you're restricted, please fit them into your daily routine- they are nothing to be scared of!
Back to my short list...
I find myself researching different gluten and wheat-free products constantly that I can recommend to my Mom or to other friends and family who ask me about gluten and wheat-free alternatives, but I rarely find anything super tasty or something that I'm dying to try. But there are a few out there that I love! Here's a (very) short list of my absolute favorite gluten/ wheat free grain products (email me for more suggestions):
1. Lundberg Family Farms Brown Rice Pasta-

This pasta has 190 calories per roughly 1/3 of a cup dry pasta (on the side of the box is measured in grams- slightly confusing!), 4 g of fiber, 4 g of protein, and 3 g of fat. The 4 g of fiber in here is great, along with the protein, it's a well-balanced choice.
I like this pasta slightly al dente, about 8 minutes does the trick. I like to pair it with my favorite pesto or tomato sauce- yum!
(Try the Lundberg Rice-Cous Cous, Risotto, or plain Basmati, short grain, or Jasmine Rice's, this company sells amazing products! They also sell Rice Chips- these contain corn flour but are truly delicious and family-friendly too!)
2. Namaste Foods Pizza Crust Mix

This pizza mix is not only delicious, but you won't even know that you're missing flour and other gluten allergens- so it's safe to serve to picky family members! The mix is made of brown rice flour, tapioca flower, arrowroot flower, xanthan gum, granulated garlic and other spices. It takes about 10 minutes to make and about 10 minutes to cook! 
With about 100 calories per slice (thats just the crust- not including whatever you choose to put on it!), 
1 g of fiber, and a whole lot of vitamin C, this pizza is a great way to shake up your gluten free diet!
3. Rice and Shine Breakfast cereal.

For me, breakfast is a tough meal because most breakfast foods are off the gluten-free and free of: corn, soy, eggs menu! This is a great one and can be jazzed up with your favorite fruit, a dash of almond or hemp milk (find the low sugar options), nuts, brown sugar, or honey- so many options!
The only ingredient in this breakfast wonder is brown rice grits (ground up brown rice). It has a nutty flavor and is really delicious, at any time of day.
This option has 150 calories per serving (1/4 cup dry cereal), 2 grams of fiber (fairly good- could be better), 3 grams of protein, no cholesterol, and 1 g of fat. Additionally, B1, B2, and B3 vitamins are in here- they're in all wheat foods because its mandated by the FDA, but us wheat free people can miss out on these!
Overall, this is a pretty great option!

Alright so I've given you a short list of my favorite wheat-free items. Please please email me if you have a question about a wheat-free product!
I'll post more soon!

-Healthy Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment