welcome!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Isabel, and I'm currently a student at Tufts University's Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, attaining a Masters of Science in Nutrition Communications. I'm also an avid health-nut who is allergic to absolutely everything- wheat, soy, corn, dairy, and eggs, and who loves to work out! I am currently in school learning how to better communicate to the public why and how they can become healthier and happier. So hopefully you can learn something too! Anything that you want to see on my blog or any questions you have please leave me questions and I will do my best to answer! I'm just getting going, but I soon hope to post recipes, fun fitness tips, and other exciting nutrition and fitness tips! enjoy!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Henrietta's Table Restaurant Review


Restaurant week in Boston is a two week eating extravaganza during which you can get three course pre-fixed meals at a variety of (normally) high priced restaurants for a reasonable $33.00.
Traditionally, I don't love restaurant week, because I don't think restaurants are really able to show off their true talents by offering abbreviated menu's.  I must say, however, I found my new favorite restaurant during this once a year, two week fest- Henrietta's Table in Harvard Square.
Although my first visit to this fabulous restaurant wasn't during restaurant week, my second visit was; shockingly I was just as pleased on my second visit as I had been on my first. I have truly fallen in love with both this restaurant and with its' adorable mascot, Henrietta the pig.

The Bar:
From the moment you walk in, the warm atmosphere boasts a casual yet simple and sophisticated style. The double sided country style bar greets you with over-sized barstools and an eclectic and seasonal drink menu offering drinks like: Sparking Crimson- Westport Rivers Champagne, Cointreau, and POM juice; Local Pear-Mint Cocktail- Pears muddled with Fresh Mint, Grey Goose la Poire, Simple Syrup, Lime and a Splash of Soda.
The Restaurant Ambiance:
The restaurant itself features oversized oak tables and chairs that are spaced eloquently ensuring each party is comfortable and has ample privacy.  Basic and clean decorations in the restaurant are french-country inspired, but are balanced by the exposed kitchen that maintains the restaurants' edgy feel.

The Menu:
The menu is a basic mixture of comfort foods that are locally grown and raised; only seasonal foods will be featured on the menu. This is great because you wont have to be worried as much about pesticides, like those that I mentioned in my post about buying organic- because seasonal foods aren't imported from places where pesticide rules are less stringent. Additionally, buying locally helps to support local growers and businesses- a true perk!


A Glimpse at the Menu...




STARTERS from $7.00
Maine Rock Crab and Corn Chowder with Smoked Bacon
Spinach Salad, Mandarins, Westfield Farm Chevre, and Spicy Maple Pecan Vinaigrette
House Smoked Pastrami Salmon, Native Field Greens, Chive Oil, Crispy Potato Wafer, Lemon Vermont Creme Fraiche
Iceberg Lettuce with Creamy Massachusetts Blue Cheese Dressing
Field Greens and Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
New England Salt Cod Cake, Tartar Sauce, Native Vegetable Slaw, Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
Grilled Balsamic Portobello, Great Hill Blue Cheese, and Warm Nitrate Free Bacon Vinaigrette
ENTRÉE from $14.75
Baked Gloucester Scrod
Crystal Valley Farms Farms Herb-Crusted Rotisserie Roasted Chicken
Yankee Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Seared King Salmon, Chive Butter Sauce
House Maple Smoked and Grilled Free Range Duck Breast, Confit Leg, Cranberry-Apple Compote, Port Wine Reduction
Barbeque Ale Braised Elysian Field Farm's Pulled Lamb Shank, Wilted Greens, Native Beans, Crispy Nitrate Free Smoked Bacon
Roasted Carrots, Celery Root and Gilfeather Turnip with Onions, Spinach, Quinoa, Local Beans, Farro and Roasted Acorn Squash, Lemon Grapeseed Oil
Ozark Mountain Grilled Smoked Pork Chop, Native Apple Sauce, Apple Brandy Reduction Sauce
SIDES from $4.75
Roasted Sweet Potatoes*, Mashed Potatoes, Wilted Greens, Butternut Squash Puree*, Beets*, Roasted Root Vegetables*
*Locally Grown
Henrietta's Yard SaleOpen Sunday - Thursday
Any 3 Courses      $32.00
(includes choice of one side)
Any 2 Courses       $25.00
(includes choice of one side)
*Available for Henrietta's Classics Only


What I Ordered: 
Field Greens and Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
Seared King Salmon, Chive Butter Sauce 
Wilted Greens (kale, collard greens, arugula, spinach with lemon and garlic)- the second visit
Roasted Root Vegetables- the first visit
The picture above isn't one that I took (sorry I forgot!). Instead, it's a seared salmon with apple cider sauce. It's similar but not identical to what I had, but it gives a picture of the normal salmon portion!

My Food Review:
The Field Greens salad was good, nothing fancy, but a fairly large portion. I split it with my mom, because I don't think I could have finished both it and the salmon and side of greens I ordered. 
I think I will order a different appetizer next time I go- only because it wasn't super-exciting. 
The Seared King Salmon was delicious. It was cooked just how I like it- medium-rare (you could have it cooked another way if you like). The chive butter sauce was light and tasty. It gave the salmon a great flavor and I didn't leave feeling like I'd eaten a stick of butter- always good. 
The wilted greens were great, but they were a little bit heavy. When you order the salmon it doesn't come with any sides, so you have to order a side of vegetables to really make it a complete meal. 
The roasted root vegetables- carrots and turnips, were truly delicious. I would definitely order those again. 
I paired my dinner with an adobo-zinfandel blend that they had on the menu. It was lighter than a cabernet sauvignon, and went great with my salmon. I'm not a white wine drinker, so this light red was a perfect match for my meal. 
(For those of you that love cheese, Henrietta's Table boasts a wide selection of cheeses on its own cheese menu). 

Overall...
I always leave Henrietta's table feeling satisfied. I think it is a great restaurant with great practices and they always seem to be able to squeeze you in- another attribute I really like. 
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who asked me about it! I think it has something for everyone. (It even has a great vegetarian entree for all you vegetarians!).
I always believe in saving the best for last-
The true treat at Henrietta's Table is the gift shop right in the front entrance of the restaurant. At the gift shop you can buy pig-shaped cheese platters, local Taza Chocolate, pig-inspired children's books, local maple syrup, and a zillion different kinds of pig stuffed animals, amongst other creative New England treats. 

Because on my second visit to Henrietta's table I couldn't leave without a pig of my own, I would like to share my new friend with you, Happy the pig. 


Happy Saturday everyone! Happy (the pig) and I are sitting enjoying Spring Break, drinking Green Tea and eating our oatmeal (gluten-free of course, he shares in my allergies)!


- Healthy Gal 

No comments:

Post a Comment